Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hey look! A big bus of Christians!

Near the township of Mountain View sits this satirical goldmine. The entire time that I have been here none of us have seen it move or change positions. I told everyone when we got out to take pictures that this wasn't a metaphor for anything...

anyways...

A good bit has happened since the last post. My difficulties with the really interesting HD to DV has been sorted out and things are running smoothly thanks to a friend and some prayers. I've finished one video (the one with the voiceover with the jacket over my head) and in return....get ready....I received a car. Yes. I was going to rent a bike and as I discussed this with Clive (head of WPBA) he told me he had an old car that has just been sitting there that I could drive. I've named it the Red Barron. pictures coming soon.
We had a good, relaxing weekend here filled with one or two movies, going to watch rugby at a local "diner" and a surprise father's day breakfast for Mike Talley, which was quite a hassle. We convinced him that there were big problems going on with the volunteers (by ways that I won't mention....Anna...) and that we really needed to talk to him Sunday morning before church. He was completely surprised and things worked out great. I fixed eggs. Yeah.
Tomorrow begins the first day of shooting for the actual video I came down here to do for Living Hope/Grace/Way, which is slightly challenging because of the time I have left down here. It doesn't feel like I've been here for almost 3 1/2 weeks! Time really has flown. I'm in a good routine down here and I'm beginning to get the hang of things as far as what I need to do. We have been playing a lot of "Signs" and "Mafia" after dinner and before bed which is always a fun time. Elliott and I have even caught him up on a few of the last episodes of LOST. (I know half of you are cheering and the other half are booing right now)

The kids at Red Hill today were absolutely nuts for a while. We had to break up 8-10 fights and kids were running around like they had been injected with sugar. Things calmed down when Stanton began to tell his testimony about Red Hill and by the time we were about to leave to go home things were just about back to normal. Apeowei (i still hope i'm spelling that right) always runs up to me before we leave and wants me to carry him around for a little bit and he'll hug my face really hard, which is incredibly sweet. The past few nights when we have left the moon has been out and while propped up in my arm he'll gasp and point to the moon, "Jeff! Look! It's Jesus!" At first I thought I would correct his theology, "Um no, Apeowei, you're wrong. Jesus isn't the moon. He's a part of a thing called the Trinity...can you say The Trinity? It's like God, but three times...." But why wouldn't he be able to see Jesus in the moon? The moon has always held a certain mystery and awe to mankind and maybe Apeowei looks at the moon and feels the same way he thinks he should feel about Jesus. Sometimes I wish that I could still point at things like that and notice God at work. Or, for the most part, appreciate it. To point at the ocean and say "Look. Jesus."



Continue to pray for the refugee camps. Also, that I would be able to finish the video that I came here to do without any big snags. And that I would be safe driving a very old stick shift car, in the right side of the car on the left side of the road. And, for my heart to be alert to where I am and what I'm doing.


by the way... i've killed at least 20 ants while writing this message. I have no clue where they're coming from..... ok and while i typed that literally another 15 or so came up from NOWHERE...... WHERE ARE THEY COMING FROM?!?!

9 comments:

Phil said...

Oh, how sad but true - the Christian bus (CB)! I hope some pastor/teacher reads your blog, Jeff. The CB has sermon/lesson topic written all over it.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think your dad's onto something. Now if we could just find a minister.....


I love reading about your adventures. And I especially appreciate that I can hear you "telling" the stories you write about, complete with interjections of marching ant armies and other entertaining and miscellaneous stories. Thank you for making the time to keep all of us up-to-date with your Africa life this summer. And the Cool Springs Sbux has our names written all over it when you get home!

Praying for you, bud.
much love.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, the Christians that were on the Christian Bus are where they are supposed to be - in the world helping/ministering to other people. Thanks goodness they are NOT on the bus just looking out and not doing anything, asleep or playing with their electronic devices.

Love,
Mom

Brian said...

Stop worshiping the moon Jeff. I thought we had worked through that by now.

Seth said...

Hopefully someone knows where those Christians are...? Does no one else see the potential seriousness of this situation? A bus full of people are missing.

Seth said...

Also, getting a computer full of live South African ants through customs is gonna be a lot of fun.
I can't wait for you to return from Africa and screw up our local ecosystem.

Austin said...

when you talked about making eggs, it reminded me of the breakfast burrito you made for me last summer.

it was sooooooo good!

whether you like it or not, when you get home, you are making me another!

i miss you man, get back soon! America needs you!

Jeffrey said...

deal.