Monday, June 23, 2008

song?

It has been a while since I’ve posted due to another one of Africa’s little joy’s: bandwidth internet limit. (this means you only have so many pictures/videos/websites you can visit in a month) Seeing as how a few of us here are Coldplay fans and the new album was recently released…..bandwidth was dried up early and we are left internetless here at Sundollar. I have wanted to write about last Thursday, because it was the most FULL day that I’ve had thus far on my trip.
The day began at Living Hope offices where I thought I would spend the first hour or two planning my shot sheet list for the remaining few days. Mike approaches me as I’m sitting on my case in the corner of his office (desk space is a little tight, it’s better than the kitchen) and says, “If we got the guitar, would you be interested in playing some songs over at the Health Care Center?” A bit confused, I said yes and within the hour Anna, Margaret and I were circling around patients in the Health Care Center singing songs. The nurses joined us and we switched off teaching each other songs. As we played I would glance around the room at some of the other beds and saw people staring at the ceiling under their blankets and holding their swaying hands in the air with the bend still at their elbows. It reminded me of singing songs in the nursing home and watching the elderly sing and clap their hands even if their mind wasn’t in the same room. It was cool to learn some African songs too. After we sang I came back in and took footage of the clinic….I can’t really say I got some “good shots” but I think it went well.
After a brief lunch that I packed in my camera case, I caught a ride over to King of Kings Baptist Church (Fish Hoek Baptist….) to interview Avril Thomas. This is John Thomas’ wife and she gave a very insightful well-versed interview. Thank goodness. So after her interview, that would pretty much be a full day….except let’s rewind to an hour or two before lunch…. (seth, you will like this.)

“Ok Jeff, I’ve got you all lined up to shoot the ‘Wait For Me’ music video this afternoon at King of Kings at 3.”

~blank stare and drooling….~

Waiting at the church would be appx. 10-12 kids and about 8 Life Skill educators to perform the song “Wait For Me” for the Wait For Me Campaign. I knew it was coming…just not today. With the help of an employee, I found 3 stage lights that I had to roll around and set everything up the best that I could. I was just about ready to go and I asked where the cd or mp3 player was to play the SONG that we were shooting the music video for.

“We don’t have the song, we were going to use your sound.”

~blank stare and drooling…~

Turns out, the song for the music video I was to be shooting had yet to be recorded. I know only a few of you will appreciate the irony of this but needless to say I was a little more than disappointed and confused. After a discussion about music videos, we decided to try the best we could with the live music and away we went. I haven’t edited it yet, but I believe they are supposed to have the song to me in the next couple of days. It all went well but it was very draining not only having to direct the video for a song I have never heard... or I guess nobody else has ever heard..... but making sure the kids stayed happy/upbeat/singing. Everyone was patient and I’m glad that everything worked out.
I drove the Red Barron home afterwards and thus begins CHILLI NIGHT AT THE TALLEYS.
Mike and Pam invited all of us (about 15) over for Chilli. The food was fantastic and like most nights here, I ate until full. We played TWO games of Mafia which took almost 3 hours. By the time the second one was over, people hated Mafia and it got pretty intense because nobody could make a decision (including myself) and needless to say….Mafia is still banned to this day. Also, Austin….you will be happy to know that I’ve started the “Ok, so I’m going on a trip…” game down here, and it is driving people absolutely insane.
Although my most strenuous, it was my best/favorite day so far. Oh yeah, and on Saturday we went to SA vs. Italy rugby. SAH.
Internet has been down for the past 4 days or so...so sorry for not responding/sending any messages to anyone. AND sorry that this was very much like a diary.

4 comments:

Seth said...

This was the best post yet. Felt like I was there.
And you can line up video with the song no sweat. It'll just be a lot of quick cuts. And coffee.

Anonymous said...

Oh man... I can just see your face in reaction to the we-don't-have-the-song-we'll-just-use-your-sound comment. YIKES!!! Ah, faithbuilder moments...

Hey, I like the diary feel. It's the most fun to read.

I listened to the new Coldplay album twice today on my way to Gainesville (had to drop off some art for a show). Thought of ya.

Ok, bye!

-Saster

Austin said...

HAHAHAHA YES!

So I start my trip off in Cincinnati, and I stay there for four nights, after that I fly to Los Angeles and then hop on a train to Tallahassee.

Where do I end my trip?

Miss ya man!

Jeffrey said...

Indianappolis!!!